Friday, July 15, 2011

The Beginning

Here is the progress I'm making on the blanket. It started out as a stack of squares (297 pictured, not including the solid azure):


Then I started making the points for the star. I'm following parts of this pattern here, but the squares I'm using are a little smaller and there won't be a star in every block. First I take a small solid azure square and sew them together, using a diagonal line across the small square (it's a little hard to see, and the lighting makes the colors look odd).


Then I cut the bottom triangle off, leaving one triangle of azure attached to the big square.


And when I press it open, it becomes a star point! I do the same thing on the opposite side of the big square to make two star points. It isn't hard to do, but it does take some time, so I hope you're not expecting this to be done really quickly...


I repeated the process to make four squares with star points, and then I put them all together. The completed star is on the left. It will alternate a star block with a block of squares, in a different order each time. This is how the bock next to it will probably look.


Progress: 1 star block done, 17 more to go
0 regular blocks done, 17 more to go.

1 comment: