Monday, August 15, 2011

Some sewing for myself

After spending the day wrestling with SPSS to figure out some stats that are probably above my head right now, I decided to take the night off from working on the star blanket and do some sewing for me to cheer me up. And what's cheerier than Christmas? I think this will end up being a table runner. Or a wall decoration. It depends on how many blocks I end up making. But I figure if I work on it sporadically starting now, I might actually get it done by the holidays. The pattern is called "garden fence" and I saw some photos of it online (if you search "garden fence quilt" through google images you can see lots of photos). I'm using pre-cut squares for the middle designs, so I did the math based on that and figured out how to put it together on my own. I like how it's starting out.

The colors are a little off - I think the nighttime lighting in my apartment skews the colors a bit. They're brighter in person. And there will be white stripes in between the blocks, so they don't have to line up perfectly.


Here's Big Kitty with his ears back, annoyed because I'm encroaching on "his" space. He's sitting on some of the other squares. And the scissors. I don't see how that could possibly be comfortable.


What I like about sewing, is that even when it's not finished, there's still a tangible product. I worked all day studying and looking at stats, but I don't have a product to show for it. Even though this sewing project isn't finished, I still have a physical thing to make me feel like I've accomplished something today.

1 comment:

  1. You need to do things for yourself, and even if you think the colors are off they come across as really pretty. I'm so glad you like your sewing machine and get to see that tangible evidence of progress. I think that's why I like to garden.

    ReplyDelete