Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pets on Quilts Show


I was procrastinating by reading through some of the internet sewing blogs that I like to browse and I came across this online quilt show called "Pets on Quilts" on this blog. I was excited to see that so many people have the same kind of "helpers" that I do, which makes me feel a little less like a crazy cat lady. So I decided to enter my photos as well, since that's basically what this blog is about. However, as many of my photos are of different types of sewing projects, I have to define what I consider a "quilt." Basically, if I've made (or are making) a blanket/quilt that has a pieced top, batting, backing, and binding, I'm calling it a quilt for the purposes of this post. Here are my favorite photos that fall under that criteria. All of these photos are from the past year, as I just completed my first year of sewing!

This is my favorite photo of Little Kitty. For anyone coming across this blog from the show site, I adopted Little Kitty from a shelter last summer. He had been abandoned with his brothers on the side of a road. In this photo, I'd only had him for a month or two, and he was 4 or 5 months old at the time. He's napping on a baby quilt I made for a friend, and I love this photo because it really makes me want to cuddle with him. It's hard to imagine that this sleeping kitty is the same one who wakes me up at 5 am every day.

Several months later (as evidenced by March Madness on the tv), I made a patriotic quilt for a friend who just became a U.S. citizen. Little Kitty decided he'd rather nap on it than let me quilt it. Although I preferred this to the destruction he did as I was finishing it...

Luckily, this went to a household with two other destructive cats (who I heard decided the quilt was theirs pretty immediately), so the recipient was very understanding. I know the photo to the left isn't technically a photo of a cat on a quilt, but it is a photo of the result of a cat being on the quilt.



Now, Little Kitty shares the apartment with Big Kitty. I've had Big Kitty for six years, and he finally seems to be adjusting to Little Kitty's presence. He definitely liked being an only cat. I know that again, this isn't technically a photo of a cat on a quilt, but it's a cat on quilt batting. So it's a cat on a quilt in progress. Big Kitty loves to sleep on batting. Little Kitty loves to eat it. I definitely prefer Big Kitty's approach.


Here is Big Kitty awake and standing on the beginning of a star quilt for my niece. It's still in progress, and hopefully will be done while she's still seven :). She picked out the colors and the fabric. I think she has great taste. Big Kitty thinks so, too. He and Little Kitty love this one, and I have to hide it from them so it doesn't end up covered in black and gray fur. Luckily I've invested in some lint rollers that help...but it's hard to get rid of all of that fur! And lastly, here is Big Kitty chilling on the quilt top in progress (before I hid it from him).
You might notice I have no shots of the two kitties together on a quilt. I do have an occasional photo with the two of them together, but here's what usually happens: Big Kitty lies down on a quilt/piece of fabric, Little Kitty comes over to cuddle with him, Big Kitty lasts about five seconds before he becomes exasperated with Little Kitty and heads off to a different spot. Little Kitty either takes over Big Kitty's place, or follows Big Kitty to the new spot and the process starts over again. They're not siblings, but they sure act like them!

Thanks for visiting, and I hope you like the photos!

31 comments:

  1. what beautiful cats. They sure like to follow and help with the process of quiltmaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute furries. I would say your photos are definitely pets on quilts. Just love the aqua/chocolate fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so sweet! And lovely quilts! A hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some really good-looking cats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking cats, those two. They look like good company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved seeing your helpers! What sweet little faces they have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling kitties, both of them.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have two lovely cats who obviously appreciate your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be careful what you wish for. One day Big Kitty is going to let Little Kitty sit with him and then you will have two cats on your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two beautiful babies! Big kitty does look like the ruler of the house. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sweet cats. Glad that you have some help with your lovely quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on finishing your first year of quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are lovely - how lucky for you to have such good helpers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What is it with cats and quilts anyway? Yours are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cats and great helpers. We don't have a cat, only a big dog, but all these pics have got me thinking that maybe I need one to help me quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing photos of your beautiful cats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cats are so beautiful...thanks for letting us see them, and your lovely quilts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute pictures! Your cats are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute kitties!!!! Big Kitty is a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your photos very much. Don't you just love the different cat personalities? Thankfully none of my babies try to eat batting, but my one cate tried to knock over a huge stack of fabric just to get to the batting. HA HA, I just looked back at my stash and I see she was successful in knocking it over. ahhhhh joy. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your lovely kitties with me. My dogs will not allow me to have a kitty, so I do enjoy looking at photos of other folks kitty companions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely cats! I hope they eventually bond. I brought a new cat - an adult stray - into my home and my 15 year old cat would not accept her. She terrorized the new cat so badly I eventually gave her away so she could live in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your first year of sewing! Kudos and clapping for you. It sounds like you have taken to sewing with cats around like a fish to water. You certainly have the same trouble getting a picture of both of your cats at the same time that I have with mine. Oh well no one said they had to cuddle together right? But please maybe just once when I have the camera out?

    ReplyDelete
  24. isn't that true they may be cats but you can see when they want the space someone else is on! Beautiful helpers

    ReplyDelete